Ive seen this do the rounds a fair bit lately and i thought it would be a nice treat for my lovely Hubby as he loves his shortbread
9oz plain flour
3oz castor sugar
for the caramel
4oz light muscovado sugar
2 cans of condensed milk
for the topping 7oz plain chocolate or milk chocolate
- pre heat the oven to 180′ fan 160′ grease a 13 x 9 in tin (Swiss roll tin)
- make the shortbread by mixing the flour and sugar together then rubbing the butter in and making breadcrumbs.
- knead the mixture together until it forms a dough like shape and then press out into tin evenly prick the shortbread with a fork all over and bake for 20 mins or until firm and lightly browned.
- make the caramel place the butter and sugar and condensed milk into a pan and heat gently until all the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil stirring all the time then reduce the heat and simmer gently stirring continuously for about 5 mins or until the mixture has thickened be careful not to burn Keep stirring. pour over the shortbread and leave to cool.
- to make the topping place a bowl over a pan of boiling water and put the chocolate in the bowl and simmer till melted then pour over the cold caramel and leave it to set and then cut into squares.