I love lemon cake it’s so light and fresh perfect for spring and for a lovely birthday which is why I made it this time for my lovely friend who loves lemon cake as much as I do.
I made my own Lemon Curd too using my lovely friend Judith from Decorate with Sprinkles recipe which I use every time.
Classic Lemon Cake
Lemon cake with lemon Chantilly cream and homemade lemon curd.
- 8 oz Stork
- 8 oz Caster sugar
- 8 oz Self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 2 grated lemons
- For the Filling and Topping
- 1 carton of double cream 285 ml
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon curd plus extra for the middle
- Preheat your oven to 180’c and line two 8″ round tins with baking parchment.
- I love the all in one method which this applies to this add Your sugar,butter,flour,eggs,baking powder and give a good mix till all combined into a smooth batter then add your grated lemons and mix once more till all evenly mixed through.
- Then place the mixture into your tins and bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 mins till nice and golden. Once there cooked allow to cool on a wire rack and make you’re filling
- Place your cream,icing sugar,lemon curd into a free standing mixer or if you have a hand held mixer that will do just fine. Mix all together till all lovely and whipped takes around 5 mins.
- I like to spoon a big dollop of lemon curd to my sponge and spread using a palate knife then add your cream mixture to the cake (which will be the middle) and smooth over with a palate knife then place your other cake ontop and press down firmly. if you want to add another layer of lemon curd first you can or if not just add your cream mixture and smooth all over the top, decorate how you want and there you have a yummy lemon cake.
By Claire Smith
Adapted from Mary Berry (The Baking Bible)