I love this combination so much Ive come up with this tart using these pretty little cases from Iced Jems shop
I think they are really pretty and would make great little table desserts for parties and afternoon teas in the garden.
I’m still working on perfecting my pastry so it’s a little rusty in places but still tastes good, I had some lemon mixture left over so I placed them in the cases without pastry and placed some frozen crushed raspberries in and baked great way to use all the mixture up so no waste, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- For the pastry
- 175g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 75g butter
- 30g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 lemon grated
- For the Filling
- 200 ml Milk
- 200 ml double cream
- 2 lemons grated
- 4 egg yolks
- 25g icing sugar
- Topping strawberries and raspberries
- Start by making the pastry by adding the flour, butter, salt, lemon, sugar and egg to the bowl or food processor and whizz round or use a wooden spoon to gather the mixture till it becomes a dough then knead it a little with your hand. place in some cling film and pop it in the fridge for 30 mins to chill.
- To prepare your filling place your milk, cream and lemon zest and icing sugar into a heavy bottomed pan and bring to the boil string occasionally so it does not stick or burn.
- Once you have brought the mixture to the boil allow to cool for 30 mins.
- Pre heat the oven to 180’c, Begin with preparing your pastry cases you can make one big one or like I’ve done I made small ones either way roll your pastry to the size of your cases, prick the base with a folk, Once ready place a bit of greaseproof paper in each pastry shell and some baking beans inside
- and place on the bottom shelf of your oven for 15 mins then after 15 mins take the paper and beans out and return back to the oven for a further 15 mins,
- Now go back to your cream lemon mixture add 4 egg yolks to the mix and whisk well once the cases are done pour the lemon cream mixture into each case and then back in the oven for 40 mins.
- Once they are cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool then decorate with strawberries and a dusting of icing sugar.
- With the left over cream mixture I just poured them equally into some empty cases and baked for 40 mins the same as before saves waste.
By Claire Smith